Course Load and Registration Status

2. Registration Procedures

Email Policy

4. Individual Instruction
5. Withdrawal from a Course
6. Taking a Leave of Absence
7. Withdrawing from the University
8. Transferring within the University
9. Graduation
1. Course Load and Registration Status

Undergraduate degree candidates are expected to be full-time unless an exception is approved by their dean.

Full-time academic status requires registration in courses that amount to twelve credits or more in a fall, spring or summer term. Students are also considered full-time if they are registered for a University overseas study program.

Part-time academic status is based on registration in courses amounting to between one and eleven credits. The designation of half-time status is given to students who are registered for at least six credits.

All degree candidates have a minimum residency requirement of two years (that is, four semesters of full-time status). Summer sessions, including summer study abroad, do not count toward fulfilling the residency requirement. Work completed on overseas study does not count toward fulfilling the residency requirement with the following exceptions: semester-long study on Global Living and Learning Programs or at SFS-Qatar counts as one semester toward the four semester minimum residency requirement.

2. Registration Procedures

A student approved for and completing registration in a school of the University will be considered a student in that school during the session for which the student has enrolled, unless the student is approved to withdraw, is approved for a leave,  or is suspended or dismissed. No student enrolled in any school of the University shall at the same time be enrolled in any other school, either of Georgetown University or of any other institution.  The student’s dean will approve exceptions to this policy such as for students in dual degree programs, and, as appropriate, for students who apply to take summer session courses at another institution.

Students admitted as first year students are ordinarily expected to graduate in the eighth semester of matriculation. The dean's office may grant exceptions for good cause. Students admitted as transfer students, students in dual degree programs, and students in the School of Continuing Studies will follow different timelines as determined by their dean's offices.

Students are required to complete registration for the following semester according to the published schedule. All new undergraduate degree candidates are required to complete the online library research and Honor System tutorial (“Joining the Conversation: Scholarly Research and Academic Integrity”) within their first semester’s enrollment. After a student completes the tutorial, he or she will be expected to have an understanding of basic research skills and the importance of ethical scholarly habits. The tutorial provides simple exercises on good research practices, including the effective use of information resources and proper citation methods. New undergraduate degree candidates are required to complete the tutorial in order to preregister for their second semester of study at Georgetown. Statements of charges for the next semester will not be mailed to students failing to preregister, and these students must register at the scheduled time and place.

Students are expected to pay their accounts in full at the time of registration. The University reserves the right to cancel the registration of any student during the semester if the account has not been paid in full. Please see the section on Expenses and Financial Assistance in this Bulletin for more details.

The continuance of each student upon the rolls of the school, receipt of academic credits, graduation, and the conferring of any degree are strictly subject to the disciplinary powers of the University, which is free to cancel registration at any time on grounds that are deemed advisable. The disciplinary authority of the University is vested in the President in such cases as the President deems proper, and, subject to the reserved powers of the President, in the Deans and the University Hearing Board.

When a student’s conduct is disruptive of the academic life of the University, the Dean has full authority to suspend or dismiss the student. This decision of the Dean may be appealed according to the appeal procedures outlined in Section III. of Regulations.

Georgetown has a three-year on-campus living policy for undergraduates. All undergraduate students who are regularly admitted and in full-time attendance must live on campus during their first and second years, and for a third year (either junior or senior year), unless they have been specifically exempted. Requests for exemption from compliance with the housing requirement must be submitted in writing to the Office of Residential Services on a Housing Requirement Exemption Request form provided by that office. 

This policy applies to students in the Class of 2017 and in subsequent years. This policy change will guarantee students three years of housing consistent with our goal of developing a more residential living and learning undergraduate campus on the Hilltop.

Students who study abroad can count their time abroad toward the residency requirement. Sophomore transfers will be required to live on campus for two years and junior transfers for one year.

All undergraduate students must also provide the University with their local telephone number (land line or cell), as well as the name, e-mail address, and telephone number of an individual to contact in case of an emergency. Further, all undergraduate students who live off campus in non-University owned properties must provide their current local off campus address. Students who are not in compliance with these regulations will be ineligible to register for the following semester.

By provision of D.C. law all Georgetown University students under the age of 26 are required to provide proof of immunization. Any student who does not provide this proof by the last day for registration changes/late registration will be ineligible to continue in classes until the proof has been provided.

By provision of Federal Law, the Department of Homeland Security has instituted strict reporting requirements for schools that enroll foreign nationals. Before the start of each semester, all newly enrolled international students at Georgetown University on non-immigrant visas are required to attend the Immigration Reporting Session given by the Office of Global Services (OGS). OGS will provide all new international students with detailed information concerning the time, date, and location of the session before the start of the semester, and this information will also be posted on OGS' website. Those who fail to attend the session will not be allowed to complete registration or attend classes. For further questions and information, please contact the Office of Global Services by calling (202) 687-5867.

In addition, all non-U.S. citizens are required to report accurate citizenship and visa type (including permanent residents) to the Office of Global Services. Any student who does not provide this information to the Office of Global Services will be ineligible to register for the following semester.

3. Email Policy

Students are expected to read and, when appropriate or required, respond in a timely fashion to emails sent from University offices. Email is the standard mode of communication for University broadcast messages to the community as well as for messages to individual students about academic standing and other important administrative matters. Messages are sent to the Georgetown student’s official Georgetown email address. Students who wish to use another address are responsible for setting and maintaining appropriate forwarding rules to ensure they receive University email.

4. Individual Instruction
a. Tutorials

Tutorials are designed to meet a variety of educational purposes. Reading tutorials usually focus on mastering the scholarly literature on a particular subject. Research tutorials focus on the collection and analysis of primary materials in the form of a major research paper.

General Policy. Tutorials are designed to meet the needs of individual students under specific academic circumstances. Five general conditions should be met: (1) the course, or an acceptable substitute, is not offered by the University in the current semester, (2) the need of the student for the course at this time must be clearly demonstrated, (3) an instructor approved by the relevant department is available, (4) the proper administrative approvals are obtained, (5) the completed Request for Tutorial/Registration form is submitted to the Office of the Dean for approval before the last day for registration changes.

Normally, tutorials are given by full-time faculty for full-time students in good academic standing.

b. Internships

Any student wishing to explore the possibility of earning academic credit in an internship should first read the guidelines listed below as well as those within the individual school’s academic regulations. Normally internships are deemed appropriate for Juniors and Seniors. The student should contact the Dean’s Office for further information.

The Council of Deans and the Provost have approved the following general guidelines for internships:

An internship should enhance students’ analytical skills and should integrate research in the field with practical experiences.

An internship should be built on some aspect of the academic program. It is important that the internship involves the application of methodologies appropriate to the discipline(s).

The internship should culminate in the writing of a research paper under the guidance of a faculty member. The Professor will evaluate the paper in the same way as an examination.

If the credits earned through an internship bring a student’s semester credits to a total above twenty, the student is required to pay for the additional credits as an overload. Part-time students will be charged at the per-credit-hour rate.

All internships require faculty supervision and prior decanal approval.

5. Withdrawal from a Course

To withdraw from a course a student must initiate the request via MyAccess to their Dean’s Office. If a student does not complete a course for which the student is registered and from which the student has not officially withdrawn, a failure will be recorded for that course.

Courses dropped through the add/drop period will not be shown on a student’s record; thereafter, dropped courses are considered as withdrawn, and are indicated by a “W” grade.

Normally, no withdrawals will be permitted after the tenth week of classes in any semester.

No student at any time may withdraw from courses to the point of becoming a part-time student (i.e., registered for eleven or fewer credits) without the permission of his or her Dean.

6. Taking a Leave of Absence
a. Elective Leave of Absence

A student in good academic standing and not subject to disciplinary action may, on formal written request, be granted a leave of absence by the Dean of the school. For withdrawals or leaves during a semester, a partial refund of tuition may be available. The schedule for refunds is found in the section on Expenses and Financial Assistance in this Bulletin.

Students who have been granted a leave of absence from the University must apply to the Dean for re-admission at least six weeks before the next semester begins.

b. Medical Leave of Absence

The University recognizes that students may experience medical situations that significantly limit their ability to function successfully or safely in their role as students. In those situations, students should consider requesting a medical leave of absence (MLOA), which permits students to take a break from university life and their studies, so that they may receive treatment and later return to the University with an enhanced opportunity to achieve their academic and co-curricular goals. Students interested in a MLOA should contact their academic Dean’s office, and the Student Health Center or the Counseling and Psychiatric Service.

c. Mandated Leave of Absence

In exceptional circumstances, the Vice President for Student Affairs may mandate a student take an involuntary leave of absence consistent with the University's written guidelines.  The Vice President for Student Affairs may delegate this authority to other University officials as deemed appropriate.

d. U.S. Military Service Leave and Re-Enrollment Policy

Georgetown University recognizes that students who serve in the U.S. armed forces may encounter situations in which military obligations force them to withdraw from a course of study and that this can sometimes happen with little notice. This policy applies to all University schools and programs and is intended to recognize, and make appropriate allowances for, students who find themselves in such situations.

I.Military Leave and Refund Procedures


For purposes of this policy, a "military service leave" is a University approved withdrawal from a University course or program that is necessitated by service, whether voluntary or involuntary, in the United States Armed Forces, including service by a member of the National Guard or Reserve, on active duty, active duty for training, or full-time National Guard duty under Federal authority, for a period of more than 30 consecutive days under a call or order to active duty of more than 30 consecutive days.

B.Student Responsibilities

A student who is called up for active duty or active service in a branch of the United States Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserve) and wishes to take a military service leave must:

  • Provide the University with advanced notice of such service and the intention to withdraw. As soon as possible after receiving military orders that require withdrawal from a program or course of study, a student must contact his or her academic dean, as well as the Georgetown University Veterans Office, and present a copy of the military orders or other appropriate documentation. This advanced notice can be made by the student or may be made by an appropriate officer of the U.S. Armed Forces or official of the U.S. Department of Defense. The notice need not include a statement of an intention to return to the University. If military necessity renders it impossible to provide advanced notice, the student may initiate a military service leave by providing notice at the first reasonable opportunity, in writing, personally signed, and with a copy of the military orders attached, to the Georgetown University Veterans Office, 3520 Prospect St., NW, Room 224, Washington, DC 20007; by FAX to (202) 687-2797; or by email to:

C.University Procedures

Upon receiving notice of a student's intention to withdraw from courses or a program because of military obligations, the Georgetown University Veterans Office shall promptly contact the appropriate dean and campus registrar, who shall review the notice and initiate the military service leave of the student and notify the Office of Student Financial Services and the Office of Student Accounts. The Office of Student Financial Services will review the student's eligibility for financial aid funds received before the time of withdrawal and inform the student about the status of his or her financial aid and about actions required to defer loan repayments based on military obligations. Students who are granted a military service leave will receive a 100% refund of tuition and fees charged for the semester or academic term in which they withdraw, but will be charged for housing and meal plan expenses already incurred. If the University determines that it is appropriate to award academic credit for work completed in the semester or academic term in which a student takes military service leave, the student shall not receive a refund for the portion of the course of study for which academic credit is awarded. No refund will be provided until the University receives a copy of the military orders necessitating the withdrawal.

II.Military Re-Enrollment Procedures


For purposes of this policy, a "military re-enrollment" is a University approved re-enrollment into a course or program after a military service leave.

B.Student Responsibilities

A student who has taken military service leave from the University or has had studies interrupted because of active duty or active service in a branch of the United States Armed Forces and wishes to re-enroll must:

  • Notify the University of the intention to return to resume a course of study upon conclusion of duty or service and present appropriate documentation. To qualify for military re-enrollment, a student must provide notice to the University within three years from the time he or she is discharged from military service or is placed on inactive duty of the intention to re-enroll. Notice should be provided in writing to the appropriate academic dean, as well as to the Georgetown University Veterans Office, and should include documentation (including an official certificate of release or discharge, a copy of duty orders, or other appropriate documentation) to establish that the student's withdrawal was related to service in the uniformed services and that the student is able to resume studies.1 Military re-enrollment guarantees a student who meets these requirements access to the same course of study he/she was in at the time of withdrawal with no re-enrollment fee, unless a student receives a dishonorable or bad conduct discharge or has been sentenced in a court-martial.2 Any student who did not give written or oral notice of service to the campus Registrar or the Veterans Office prior to withdrawal because of military necessity may, at the time the student seeks readmission, submit documentation that the student served in a branch of the U.S. Armed Services that necessitated the student's absence from the University.

C. University Procedures

A student who meets the notice requirements set forth herein will be granted military re-enrollment in the semester following the notice of intent to return, or, if the student chooses, at the beginning of the next full academic year. Upon returning to the University, the student will resume his or her course of study without repeating completed coursework and will have the same enrollment status and academic standing as before the military leave. The student will be charged the same tuition and fee amounts for the first year after re-enrollment as were charged in the semester of withdrawal.3 However, if military or veterans' education benefits will cover the difference between the tuition and fee amounts currently charged other students and the amount charged in the semester of withdrawal, the University may charge the amounts currently charged to other students.

If a student is not academically prepared to resume a course of study in which he or she was previously enrolled or is unprepared to complete a program, the University will determine whether reasonable means are available to help the student become prepared. The University may deny the student re-enrollment if it determines that reasonable efforts are not available, or that such efforts have failed to prepare the student to resume the course of study or complete the program. A student who has been away from the University on military service for more than five years (including all previous absences for military service obligations after initial enrollment but including only time the student spends actually performing service in the uniformed services) will not be guaranteed military re-enrollment, but may petition his or her dean for consideration of military re-enrollment.4 A student who chooses at the conclusion of military service to enroll in a different course of study than the one the student was in at the time of military withdrawal must complete the regular admission and enrollment process for that course of study.


1. The University shall determine the adequacy of documentation with reference to 34. C.F.R. Sec. 668.18(g).

2. The appropriate point in a course or program for a student to resume studies, the timing of re-enrollment, and the determination of the "same course of study" will be determined by the University taking into account the unique characteristics and requirements of that course or program and the modes in which it is offered (e.g., non-degree vs. degree, evening vs. day program, special program vs. standard program). If the program in which the student was enrolled has been discontinued or is no longer offered, the University will enroll the student in the program that it determines to be most similar to that program or in a different program for which the student is qualified.

3. The appropriate tuition and fee amounts will be reflected on the bill that the student receives.

4. This cumulative leave of absence restriction shall be interpreted and applied with reference to 34 C.F.R. Sec. 668.18(c) and (e), which set forth rules for calculating cumulative absence due to military service.

7. Withdrawing from the University

An honorable withdrawal will usually be granted, upon written request, to any student in good academic standing and not subject to disciplinary action. Disciplinary action may include current probation or suspension, or pending proceedings before the Honor Council or the Student Discipline System. Students wishing to withdraw must complete the following steps:

  • notify the appropriate Dean’s Office in person;
  • notify the Office of Student Financial Services, in person if possible, when the student has received any financial assistance from Georgetown or any state guaranteed or federally insured loans from lenders other than Georgetown while attending the University;
  • consult with the Office of Student Accounts to be certain that the student’s financial records are in order. Students who are due a tuition refund must apply for such a refund in writing at the Office of Student Accounts.
  • By act of registration, students accept the responsibility for charges of the entire semester, regardless of attendance in class and regardless of the method of payment used. Registration includes preregistration, registration, and all courses added after the student’s initial registration. Official withdrawal from the University can be accomplished only by following the procedures set forth above. Withdrawal from individual courses can be accomplished only by processing official drop through the appropriate Dean’s Office. Notifying anyone else does not constitute official notice of discontinuance. Students will not be granted an honorable withdrawal while unsatisfied financial obligations to the University exist.

A student who fails to register by the end of the late registration period will be removed automatically from the rolls of the University.

The University has established a schedule for partial refund of tuition charges for official withdrawals from the University; this schedule is found in the section on “Expenses and Financial Assistance.” As stated above, application for tuition refunds must be made in writing at the Office of Student Accounts.

8. Transfer Within the University

Since the four undergraduate schools are distinct colleges under the jurisdiction of separate Deans, students interested in transferring within the University must apply in writing to the school to which they wish to transfer. Students become eligible to transfer between schools at the end of their first year. Applications will be presented to the appropriate Dean’s Committee on Transfer Students for evaluation. Each school establishes its own admission standards for transfer students. A student considering transfer should consult the appropriate Dean’s Office to learn deadlines and regulations governing applications. Students who transfer should expect to complete all of the degree requirements of the school to which they transfer.

9. Graduation

Degrees are awarded three times a year: in May, August, and December. Seniors must file an application for the degree at the Dean’s Office. The last days to file follow:

  • for a May degree is February 1;
  • for an August degree, August 1; or
  • for a December degree, November 1.

Failure to apply for the degree may postpone the student’s graduation.

Diplomas are ordered three times per year. August and December grads may pick up their diplomas in person or arrange to have them mailed home.

Students who graduate in August and December may take part in the Commencement Exercises the following May.  Students who are suspended, dismissed or on a leave of absence may not participate in any Commencement activities.

Diplomas and academic transcripts will not be issued to graduates with unsatisfied financial obligations to the University.

Seniors are requested to complete the senior survey that is distributed through the Office of Assessment and Decision Support.