For the major or minor in Art History, see the Art History section of this Bulletin.
A major in Art, with a concentration in Drawing/Printmaking, Painting, Sculpture, or Digital Art/Photography, consists of eleven courses: ten courses in the studio discipline and one course in art history. An Art major's specific course requirements depend on the area of concentration. Art majors have the option of taking a second art history course in place of one of their studio art electives, with permission of the department. All Art majors are required to take the Senior Seminar (ARTS 499) course in the fall semester of senior year in order to produce portfolios of work reflecting their capabilities in their declared area of concentration.
Required Courses for the Art Major
Concentrations: Drawing/Printmaking, Sculpture, Painting, and Digital Art/Photography (33 hours; 11 courses)
- 1 Design (ARTS-100 Design)
- 1 Drawing I (ARTS-110 Visual Language)
- 1 Art History (ARTH-102 Renaissance to Modern Art or ARTH-140 Modern Art)
- 1 Senior Project: Seminar (ARTS-499)
- 4 Studio Art Electives (or 3 Studio Art and 1 Art History with department permission.)
- 3 Courses in one Concentration (Students must choose one concentration from four areas below.)
The Four Art Concentration Areas:
3 classes from ARTS-110–129, 210–229, 310–329, 410–429
3 classes from ARTS-003, 140–149, 240–249, 340–349, 440–449
3 classes from ARTS-210–219, 150–159, 250–259, 350–359, 450–459
Digital Art/Photography Concentration:
3 classes from ARTS-123, 130–139, 160–169, 230–239, 260–269, 330–339, 360–369, 430–439, 460–469
INTEGRATED WRITING in the major
The Integrated Writing Requirement for the Art major is fulfilled by ARTS 499, the senior seminar, which is required of all Art majors.
A minor in Art consists of six courses in that discipline. It is possible to major in Art History and minor in Art or vice versa. Minors who are not majors in either Art or Art History may take one course in the other discipline for credit toward the minor, with approval. For the Art minor, at least four courses must be taken within the department.
- 1 Design (ARTS-100 Design) and 5 other Art courses. One may be an art history course, with advisor’s approval.
(For course listings for Art, see http://courses.georgetown.edu)